Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Julian Death March Preview

Back in my college days I took a backpacking trip that started with a boulder and root infested "trail" that went straight uphill into New Hampshire's White Mountains. Ever since climbing hand-over-hand up the Black Angel Trail, I've given more consideration to the meaning of names. So it's with healthy respect that I approach the Julian Death March.

The April 10 event features course options ranging from 43 to 86 miles (with up to 12k climbing) and consists of two loops. Loop 1 includes a mix of paved, dirt, and fire road (plus a little singletrack) south of Julian, CA. Loop 2 heads north from Julian into the Santa Ysabel Preserve. I am still not sure how far I want to ride. It's appealing to go for the max, but then I worry about the "Death" in the Julian Death March. Did you notice how the event website features a huge skull and crossbones? Regardless, this week I'm checking out the course so I can make an informed decision.

Yesterday I prerode the first 35 miles of loop 1 before heading back to Julian on hwy 79 from Fages Monument. What the course lacks in singletrack, it makes up for in amazing views, particularly in El Capitan drainage (anyone know the name of that canyon?). The Engineer's Road section, which climbs over the south shoulder of North Peak, was a bit tough. Not because it was steep, but just because I had been climbing for a while and my back is still sore from crashing at Bootleg Canyon. After swinging around the lake via hwy 79, the course enters Cuyamaca on Soapstone Grade and Upper Green Valley before coming back to Sunrise hwy at Fages Monument. I had covered about 35 miles with 4.8k climbing in about 3:30. Then I headed back to Julian on the road with a howling cross/headwind (about 8 miles).

From Fages Monument, the course crosses Sunrise Hwy and heads into Chariot Canyon, takes an optional side loop through Rodriquez and Oriflame Canyons, and then back to Julian via Banner Grade. I'll check out this section later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment