Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Vision Quest ride report

Short version:
I finished my first Vision Quest. Things went well: my legs were good, I had no mechanicals (thanks North of the Border!), and the weather, course, volunteers, and other participants were great. I finished in 50th place at 7:28:28. About 175 riders started the race, and 143 finished. First place went to Jeremiah Bishop, who came in at 4:45:14. Tinker Juarez finished 2nd, and Cameron Brenneman finished 3rd... on a single speed. Christine Grey was the first female finisher (and awesome preride leader).



(Very) Long version:
Registration for the 2010 Vision Quest opened at midnight December 1st, and it sold out in about 45 min. I set an alarm to make sure I was up and able to get a spot.
The race takes place in the Santa Ana Mountains of Orange County and follows a 55 mile course with 11k feet of climbing. During a preride, when asking about the course, I was told, "it's basically all uphill". It doesn't seem geographically possible, but it turned out to be a good way to think about the course. There are three long downhills, but they are over relatively quickly, and when you are not descending, you are climbing. Cutoff times are enforced at several points along the course, and even mid-pack riders worry about making the cutoffs and being allowed to continue.

I got interested in riding VQ after doing a couple of ~50 mile events last fall. I put in a good base over the winter and felt well prepared. After a warranty frame replacement in Feb, and new drivetrain and brakes soon after, I was basically riding a new bike. The RIP9 is a little heavy for a long course with mostly fireroad climbs, but it's good on the rocky descents. Two weeks out, I prerode the first 3/4s of the course with Christine Grey and Rhonda Geiszler (they are awesome and finished 1st and 4th overall women!). The preride went well, and I felt strong and prepared for the race. Paradoxically, though, it was a little intimidating to realize what I was in for on race day. However, as the race got closer, I felt better and better about it, and was glad I knew the course and what to expect. The week leading up to race included fine tuning the bike, choosing tires, deciding what to wear and carry, and planning nutrition.

The race has a 5:30 start time, so I decided to stay in Orange County Friday night. I got a ride up with Rhonda, and Christine made us dinner (awesome). The alarm went off at 4am. Getting up was a welcome break from anxiety dreams that included discovering a sidewall tear right before the start and being surprised to learn that the race included a swim leg. We got to the venue around 5, got our kits together, and headed to the start.
--
I line up in the middle of the pack. There are about 300 riders, though half are doing the Counting Coup, which skips the final 10 miles and 2k feet of the Vision Quest course. At 5:30 it's pitch black. Factoring in daylight savings time means we'll be doing about an hour of night riding. I look forward to a day spent riding in the mountains - what could be better? After a bit of flat fireroad, we start up Blackstar, the first climb of the day. Blackstar was recently graded and is in great shape. The string of lights stretches far above (fast riders!) and below. I top Blackstar at about 1 hr, feel good, and continue on the Main Divide. MD is also fireroad, and mostly uphill, but there some downhill sections. On one chunky downhill I pass a water bottle, then 50 yds later pass a rider running back uphill. Oops. All of my gear is working well, I'm eating on schedule, and my legs feel good. At about 2hrs I reach the top of Silverado Motorway, the first of three sustained downhill sections. The trail is in good shape, it's very rocky but mostly not too steep. I am not a great descender, but feel focused and confident. Still, I ride a little tight on Silverado. There are a number of other riders around, some faster than me, some slower, and that makes it hard to relax. Plus, it's way too early to crash. But I ride clean, and in about 15 adrenaline-filled minutes, I roll into the first aid station.

The volunteers at the aid station grab my bottle and pack and top off my water. I fumble trying to add Perpetum powder to my now full bottle... the powder just sits on top of the water. It is one of those dumb situations that are difficult to resolve when you've spent the last couple hours telling your brain to STFU. Finally, I realize that I can put the top on, shake the bottle, and then add the rest of the powder. I get the rest of my gear sorted, then roll out kicking myself for taking so much time. But I check my watch and it was only a 5 min stop. The next section, Maple Springs, is an essentially endless climb. The next descent is about 2 hours away. I put on my ipod and try to settle in. As expected, the climb is trying. My quads tighten, then my back starts to hurt. My stomach feels a little uneasy, which is scary because I need to keep fueling. I don't eat anything for an hour or so, which is risky but seems necessary.

Eventually I finish Maple Springs, but all that means is a short flat section before another climb, this time to Santiago Peak. I still go easy on the nutrition, but feel ok. I get to use my big ring on a traverse before the final climb to Santiago Peak. During the preride two weeks ago, the Peak was socked in, with light snow. The weather today is perfect and I climb well. Near the top I catch up to a guy riding a 24" BMX bike (part of the BMX Mulisha). Yes, he does have a full height seat, but the bike is heavy, single speed, and fully rigid. Impressive.

From the top of Santiago, the course heads down on fireroad before turning off on the Upper Holy Jim Trail, or, as I called it after the preride, Holy Shit Trail. It's pretty steep and technical, with some rocks, small drops, and switchbacks. But today I feel much better, and only have to walk a few trickier sections. I don't really push it, though, and even move over to let a faster rider pass. I try to get through in one piece and recover a little from the climb. Soon I arrive back on the Main Divide for a short traverse to the Lower Holy Jim Trail. This section is less technically challenging and I relax more and let the bike go. I feel good and clean all the switchbacks. There are some hikers on the trail, but my bear bell is out and they all step aside. I catch a rider in the switchbacks and another further down in the stream crossings. I reach the 2nd aid station at 5hrs.

The course volunteers give another great assist (they even put the bag back on my bear bell, which is surprisingly hard to do with gloves on), and I head out for the last climb. Counting Coup racers turn down the jeep road (Trabuco Creek Road) to the finish, but the Vision Quest course continues up the road for a 10 mile lollipop with about 2k feet of climbing. I did not preride this part of the course, but have heard a lot about the hike a bike section of West Horsethief trail. A few of the leaders fly past on their way down. I turn off Trabuco Creek road and begin a somewhat technical singletrack climb. I pass BMX guy again (did he go down Holy Jim before me?) and we say hello. At this point I appreciate the intervals I did up Cowles mountain, because I ride pretty well even though I'm tired. Eventually the trail is less technical, but more steep, and a little loose. I could probably ride a decent amount of it on a good day with fresh legs, but I have to hike it. This goes on for a long time. Another rider catches me, which seems funny because it means he's hiking a little faster than me. I ask if he wants to pass, and he says no. This is good, because I keep going knowing he's behind me. We don't talk, which is also good. At one point I can see the trail continuing much higher up. As one rider posted after the race, "After having been hiking on WHT for a long time thinking you MUST be close to done, then seeing people WAY above you.... F&%@!" It doesn't make much difference though, since there is nothing to do but continue hiking. I'm at it hour or more in when the trail levels. I get back on the bike, and very soon I'm back on the Main Divide.

The volunteers at the top are cooking hamburgers, which smell really good, but I don't trust my stomach. Instead I take off for a last few miles of fireroad, which is mostly level with some moderate climbing. I feel pretty good. I reach a lone volunteer at the turnoff to Trabuco Creek trail. My arms are tired but the downhill is super fun, and I get into a flow. I don't see another rider until I get back to the lower section of WHT and pass the last few riders heading up. The bear bell is blaring again and everyone is cool about the two way traffic. I pass a couple on an orange Ventana tandem. Turns out they did not continue on up WHT, but I am amazed they made it that far. I pass the 2nd aid station again and have a few more miles of jeep road to the finish. It's a little after 7 hours, and I realize I have a shot at breaking 7:30. Not sure why it matters at this point, but I get in my big ring and go. I finish in 7:28:28 feeling enormous satisfaction.
--
When I registered back in December, I had some sense of the scope of this ride, but it was beyond what I expected. I am amazed at what the body can do. Looking back at the ride, I am happy with my preparation and how the bike performed (no mechanicals, no flats, good tire choice). I rode smart and didn't exceed my endurance pace on the climbs. My nutrition could've gone a little better, but I didn't bonk. Each downhill felt better than the last, which was a great way to finish. My primary goal was to ride strong and make good on my training. I did that and look forward to next year!

Many thanks are in order: to Diana for supporting my riding; to all my riding buddies and especially Mike Maio for taking me to Anderson and San Juan, and generally pushing me;  to Mike and Doug at NBB for all their help with the bike; to Rhonda and Christine for a great preride and local knowledge, and to the Warrior Society and volunteers for a great event.

No comments:

Post a Comment