Thursday, September 16, 2010

the final piece

When I first got the Motobecane hardtail, I sold the OEM wheels (I also swapped out the bars, stem, and seatpost). In their place, I used my Stan's 355 Race front wheel, which I had been using with the RIP only on race days. I did not have a ready rear wheel, so instead I shared my Stans Flow / Hadley wheel between the RIP and the Moto. Swapping wheels is a bit of hassle, and the Flow / Hadley combo is a little porky for a XC hardtail-cum-race bike.

The solution? A Stan's Crest rim on a Chris King hub w/ DT Swiss spokes. Mike built it with his usual care and the wheel (w/o tire or cassette) weighed in at 890 grams. I put a Small Block 8 on (the Flow had a Kenda Nevegal). The total weight difference (tire and wheel) was 400g or nearly a pound! As a result, the bike feels more balanced front to back, and more zippy. The rear is smooth like butter.

Mike starts building in the evening

And works into the night

Pretty light for a 29er wheel. This does not include the cassette.


No comments:

Post a Comment