Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Suddenly singlespeeding

Actually, the single speed conversion took a while, it was losing the derailleur that happened suddenly. In engineering, failure testing is the process of finding the limit of performance by going past it. The same principle applies for bike skills, like cornering. Which is why I low-sided after losing the rear tire in a loose, sandy right turn. The sand was a curse and blessing, though, because it made for a soft landing. My rear derailleur managed to find a cobble, though, and sheared off at the hanger. The derailleur hanger is like a fuse; it's cheap and designed to break, sacrificing itself to save the more expensive derailleur and frame. Thank you, derailleur hanger. So, now what? I was <5min ride from the trailhead. Except that I rode to the trailhead, another 25min via 52 from Mast Blvd. Diana had ridden to work, so she wasn't coming to pick me up. There was only one option: single speed conversion, a classic trailside repair right up there with using a dollar bill as a tire boot. I was riding the hardtail, so it actually worked pretty well. I ended up in 2x5, which was good for riding up a long hill on the way home.

Not good
Better

No comments:

Post a Comment