Monday, September 13, 2010

SD 50 miler race report

I was breaking a rule... would I get away with it? "Don't make any changes right before a race." Everyone knows that. Tuning your shocks, changing tires, overhauling your bottom bracket - anything beyond putting air in the tires is a rookie move that invites disaster. But here I am, the night before the race, watching Mike build me a new rear wheel.

We finish about 11pm, too late considering my 5am alarm. I wouldn't have considered running the new wheel except that I knew Mike would build it right. Even so, I'm a little anxious. I dream about broken rear dropouts on my bike and wake up wondering if it's time to get up yet.

As we start the race, Elfin forest is covered in fog. From the base of the dam, we climb a mix of pavement and dirt until we're above the reservoir. It's tough to go out easy on this kind of an opening. After brief side trails, we descend to Lake Hodges. The descent is a nasty, steep, and loose gravel road scattered with water bars. One guy goes flying past me, but most folks are pretty restrained.

The trails on the east end of Lake Hodges are flat, and it's tempting to go too fast. I start racing. In an event this long, it's risky not to ride your own speed. But I get into a pace line and we're flying. Soon I'm making the turnaround and heading west. I settle in a little more after Del Dios park, but still quickly reach Hernandez Hideaway, the Dam, and the Steel Bridge.

Diana is waiting for me at the aid station at mile 24, near the golf course in San Dieguito River Park. I roll in around 1:40, which seems soon. It's awesome to have support on the course. Fresh bottles, a little lube on the chain, and I'm rolling again. There are many, many switchbacks. Not too steep, but very tight. They're lined with rail fencing (I guess this keeps people from cutting?), and while climbing you can grab the post with your inside hand and swing around.

Then we're on a bit of road and into the Lusardi loop (Black Mountain), which starts with a couple of long, steep power line climbs. Ouch. The bike is running great, though. The rear wheel is smooth like butter, and the Small Block 8 is hooking up well. I seem to be getting away with breaking a rule. I'm starting to feel the early hard pace, though. I try to eat more - my stomach is getting tired of Perpetuem, so time for a gel. I try to pace it out a bit, knowing the last half of the course is the tougher one.

Lusardi has fire road, then single track, then more fire road. Eventually I'm off the loop and back on the stem (we're racing a lollipop course, and a lollipop has a loop and a stem). Just after I turn onto the stem, I see a guy coming down the other way... is this guy lost? Did he drop his phone? Trying to be helpful, I ask if he's ok, but he just goes by. Then I realize - he's going the other way because he's just starting the loop. Now I feel like a jerk.

Some road, the switchbacks again, then I see Diana at the aid station and get a fresh bottle. My legs are on the verge of cramping and I keep thinking that the final climb is going to suck, and I will probably cramp up and have to walk. I realize I'm getting negative and setting up a self-fulfilling prophesy. So I change the tune and visualize being strong up the hill. I also try to pace myself and keep a little in reserve for the final climb. I am not even thinking about the rear wheel, and that is a good thing.

The single track at the top of the dam and around Hodges is fun. Then I'm on the road, riding up from Hodges to cross Del Dios Hwy and reach the base of THE climb. It's 800 feet and 1.1 miles to the top. On our preride, Scott and I climbed it in about 17 minutes. The start is steep, but I take it slow and make it to the flat(ish) section, which provides a chance to recover. Then the climb is moderate for a while, until I make a left and face the wall. Nothing to do but keep pushing the pedals over. I'm on the nose of the saddle with my chin out in front of the bars. Somehow I don't spin out, don't pull up the front end, and don't cramp up. It takes something like 20 minutes, but I'm just pleased to clean it.

Now a short trip through Elfin, mostly the main fire road, Tikes Hike trail, and then down the steep, loose, gravel-strewn, and twisty Cielo Trail. There's no one to catch, and no one to catch me. So I take it easy and make sure I get down in one piece.

Stats: 50 miles, 6k climbing, 4:28, 5th in sport category overall, 1st in my age group (35-39). I might have gone out a little hard, but was pleased with a good effort and result, especially considering that my training has been relatively unstructured this summer. And I broke a rule and got away with it. Thanks Mike!

Scott took third in sport at 4:16, Matt was 3rd in beginner, and Heidi and Rhonda were 2nd and 3rd overall women - nice job folks!

Kudos to Robert and his crew at Racers and Chasers for even considering putting this on. The logistics must be a nightmare, but it's great to have a long event right here in SD.

No comments:

Post a Comment